Friday, March 18, 2011

Simple Makeup Simplified!



Over-complicating my makeup is a crime I am constantly guilty of, simply because I have the makeup and know-how to pull it off. However, there is a quiet beauty in the natural look: makeup is used to subtly enhance features, rather than making a loud dramatic statement. I’m going to share a few tips here to simplify this seemingly simple process.

Eyes should always be your first focus point, no matter what the look. This applies even for the nude eyes/red lips combo, since you’ll be prepping the eyes like a clean canvas so not to drawn attention to the lips then.




Curling the eyelashes and slicking on a layer of mascara open up the eyes beautifully. Only apply a single coat of mascara in order to avoid clumping and unnatural looking lashes. You can dab on a bit of Vaseline to your lids and achieve a dewy effect, or use matte eyeshadow colours similar to your natural skin colour to smooth out the lids’ pigmentation and add a hint of contouring. You will notice many minimalist models in fashion shows (eg. Stella McCartney) often have deep set eyes and heavy under-eye shadows – this is all thanks to clever lighting and smart shadow application. Of course, good genes do help a little.

For the face, use a dab of concealer on major blemishes and apply tinted moisturiser. A full face of foundation will simply weigh the face down. If you cannot live without foundation, then apply only to the necessary areas and allow sections of healthy skin to shine through. Use creamy blush and highlighters to achieve that glowing, dewy-finish.

Keep the lips fresh and light. I recommend simply using a tinted lip balm such as Burt’s Bees lip balm in Pomegranate or a lipstain like Benetint from Benefit. Alternatively, you can apply lipstick in a shade similar to your natural colour and blot your lips with tissue. For added shine without going overboard, you can apply gloss over the lipstick and then blot.

These tips are quick and effortless to achieve. You can easily mix and match sections in conjunction with your typical makeup routine to dress up or tone down your look. If you have any tricks to cheat your way into looking natural, then feel free to share them in the comments below!

3 comments:

  1. Believe it or not this is my favorite look. I love makeup but keeping things simple is so much more beautiful, especially for an everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really like natural beauty as a everyday look. I have to remind myself of that sometimes because I also have a tendency to over-complicate things just because I know how to. But I've come to realise that I look my best in daytime if I just focus on a good, glowing and healthy looking skin and more natural eyes. I do wear e/s, but in quite natural colors to just give my eyes some depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. thanks for the tips! :) geez I don't have a talent with make ups but its not bad to try or to explore. right?

    ReplyDelete